Joshua Tarrant

I created this blog to keep track of my racing exploits. I am currently racing with a great elite team out of Michigan (Team Lathrup/Giant)formerly Ford/Giant Cycling team. This makes it easy for my family to read about my races and see pictures of me in action. Thank you very much for positive comments and for reading

Sunday, April 01, 2007

WMU races







Saturday
This weekend we hosted 2 races here in Kalamazoo and boy were they a couple of doozies. Saturday was tough from the go with some tough attacks and a nice wind. I intended to take it easy and save my efforts for the second half of the race. Well, you know what they said about the best laid plans. About 5miles in I tried setting Alvin up for a break, i guttered the field into the cross wind. When i swung off, a break started to go, but Alvin had slipped a little too far back after an earlier attack. With Bennet and Jon Swain and Greg in the move I knew it was a serious move, I ripped it off the front and crossed at the last minute to make it a break of 6. We went to work and started to put time on the field. Thing were going well until we got stopped by a crossing train. The field caught us and we decided that the field would wait 2 minutes after the train left while we got our gap back and then continue chasing us. Then the rain came. 45 degees and raining is about as bad of weather as you can have on a bike. It really felt like i was in Belgium again. We ended up dropping 2 of the guys in the break and it was down to Swain, Bennet, Greg and I. On the last lap the attacks started to come. Greg went first and i followed quickly. Swain then kept the pace high but Greg went again. I hesitated and jumped across, Swain chased us back and Bennet went. Greg jumped with him and i ended up pulling Swain down the road and trying to keep Greg and Bennet close. Swain jumped me and I ended up being the last man out. I chased to no end and ended up 4th. It was a very tough race with a 65mile breakaway.
Sunday
Sunday was a Westerns Circuit race though campus. The course is very hilly again with a tough wind. This race always starts fast and the selection is usually early on. On the second lap I made a strong attack but initiated it a little too early and paid for my bad timing. Just as i was starting to cook over the top, i was countered by a strong group and got left in the field. I was not happy to miss the break. It was very disappointing for me. I spent the rest of the race pulling the field around trying to keep the break close. I attacked with 4 laps to go and got gap with a UofM rider and a Northwestern rider. They gave me a little bit of help, but i was doing the majority of the work. I thought there was a chance i could catch part if not all of the break. Long story short it didn't happen. Oh well. I raced well and felt really good. The form is coming along well and should really be rolling by late April into May. Here are some pics from the weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home