Joshua Tarrant

I created this blog to keep track of my racing exploits. I am currently racing with a great elite team out of Michigan (Team Lathrup/Giant)formerly Ford/Giant Cycling team. This makes it easy for my family to read about my races and see pictures of me in action. Thank you very much for positive comments and for reading

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Lactic Power Test and Bike Fit

Yesterday I went with my director Bernard and 3 other teammates to see Dr. Dag. Dr. Dag is the Discovery Channel team doctor who performs test for the team and is also Lance's personal Doctor while in Europe. We went to get our Lactic Acid Power Test done. Basically you bring your bike and hook it up to his machine and start at 100watts. Every 3 min the maching automatically adds 50watts. Dr. Dag is busy pricking your ear and taking blood sample for lactic acid and the machine is recording all you hr and other information. I was told the Cycling Center house record at the moment was set by Justin Morgan at 500watts and 2 min or so. I was able to hit 550watts and a few seconds for the new best. The only negative part of the test is that i start to produce lactic acid a little early in my power output, mostly due to how short i have been a cyclist. The rest of the guys all hit 500watts and was a succesful day for the new guys. Today, i went and Franze the old belgian bikefit master. He is responsible for the bikefit of such pro's and Eddie and Axel Merckx, Nico Mattan, Tom Boonan and some others. He is an older guy with a great garder and expersive cars in a town called Isagem. He doesn't speak a word of English, so Ann has to translate for you. First you go through a series of measurements which he does twice. He inspects your feet for arch, and adjusts your shoes. He then spends about an hour on the calculator setting up your ideal bike fit and then if you agree, goes to work making your bike perfect for you. In the end, he moved my seat up about 1.5 cm, and forward about 2 cm. He put a 10mm shorter stem on my bike and adjusted my hoods a little bit for a more ideal fit in the drops. All in all it was about a 4hr fit and only cost 40 Euro, plus the price of the new stem. I went for a short ride on it today, it definatley feels different, it will be an interesting race tomorrow on a newly fit bike. That is all for now, more to come on my next race. Thanks for reading

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home